The Ellwood City Area Historical Society will award the Robert and Janice Barensfeld scholarship of $1,500.00 each to two graduating seniors in 2020 who have been accepted into a institution of higher learning (i.e, 4 year, Trade School or Performing Arts) Please note the following requirements:
- 2020 graduating students from Lincoln High School and Riverside High School are eligible. One (1) Scholarship will be available to both Lincoln and Riverside High Schools, providing all requirements are met, with the approval of the Ellwood City Area Historical Society’s scholarship committee. In case no student entries qualify from one (1) high school, two (2) students from the other high school may be awarded the scholarships.
- Complete the General Information sheet and remit with written essay.
- Present a written essay to the Ellwood City Area Historical Society scholarship committee per the following instructions:
- Historical topic within the geographic boundaries of the two (2) school districts.
- 400-600 words, double spaced, font size 12, researched and documented with a minimum of five (5) sources.
- The following topics are to be considered: People, Harmony Trolley, Churches, Family Farms/Businesses, and Social Organizations.
- All applications must be addressed to the Ellwood City Area Historical Society, Attention: Scholarship Committee
Essays may be delivered in person, mailed, or dropped off in the mail slot.
All applications must be received by Thursday April 9, 2020 before 2:00 p.m.
Essay selections will be made by the Scholarship Committe based solely on the content of the essay. Winning essays will be announced at the May 11, 2020 regular monthly meeting at the Ellwood City Area Historical Society. Winners will be notified in advance so that may make arrangements to attend, be recognized and read their essays at this meeting. Winners must attend the general membership meeting, May 11, 2020 to receive the awards.
Questions – Call 724-752-2021 during regular business hours, Wednesday and Thursday from noon until 4:00 p.m. Evening hours may be made available by appointment if help is needed or references to previous essays would be an aid.